- 16 oz box pasta (any type, but Grandma always used shells)
- ½ cup butter
- 2 Tablespoons flour
- Salt and pepper to taste (she was heaaaavy with the pepper)
- 4 cups milk
- 1.5 cups cubed Velveeta cheese
1. Cook pasta to box instructions, drain.
2. In the same saucepan, melt butter over medium heat.
3. Add flour and stir until creamy.
4. Add milk, salt and pepper, and cubed cheese. Stir until melted.
5. Add in cooked macaroni.
Grandma Ila Hamilton Campbell
*Can add more milk if more soupiness is wanted.
This Creamy Macaroni and Cheese is as different a dish as you can get from our Grandma Jeannette’s. You can view that recipe here. The macaroni recipes are as different as the ladies themselves.
When I make this soupy Macaroni and cheese, or even when I think about it, I am transported back into my Grandma Ila’s kitchen.
The yellow laminate, the wood/Formica kitchen table, the 60’s style bread box, and the cornucopia wall art is still as fresh in my memory as always. How many hours did I spend at that table while she pinned my hair for perms, prayed with me over my small kid troubles, and laughed with me at my small kid jokes. She had the best laugh.
I have a quilt that still smells like her, and there’s nothing better than a bowl of this Mac under that quilt on a cool fall day.
If I have a bad day, or just need to feel a little of the comfort she would give me, I whip this up and before I know it, I have a bowl of nostalgic comfort. Her creamy and soupy macaroni and cheese with a hint of pepper combined with shell pasta still has us scrambling for a bowl of our very own. I hope you enjoy this too, Flunkies! And you don’t even have to suffer a tight perm for it 🙂