Delicious Beef and Vegetable Soup
The perfect soup for a winter evening!
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 pounds stew meat or chuck roast cut into bite size pieces
- 2 teaspoons Meat Tenderizer
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons sweet basil, dried
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 32 ounces beef broth (large container)
- 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 15 ounce can tomato sauce
- 2-3 potatoes, peeled and cut into bite size pieces
- 16 ounce bag of frozen mixed vegetables or equivalent
- 2 cups of shredded cabbage (optional)
- 4 Tablespoons of Flour and 2 Cups Water to make slurry
- Sprinkle meat tenderizer on meat and bring to room temperature.
- In large pot, heat olive oil on medium heat, or medium low depending on your stove. Saute onion and garlic until onion is translucent. Add meat and flash brown on all sides.
- Add beef broth to pot, fill broth container with water and add that to the pot also. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 1 hour until meat is tender.
- Add potatoes, crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, salt & pepper, and basil and cook until potatoes are fork tender (30-45 minutes).
- Add veggies, sugar and cabbage (if using). Cook another 30 minutes.
- Make slurry out of flour and water and add slowly to soup to thicken the sauce.
- Serve with hot bread and enjoy!
This recipe can be made with any combination of veggies. It's a great way to use up leftovers. It also freezes well so make a large batch!
After being spoiled by an extended fall, winter is now officially upon us here in Missouri. Gone now are the fall hikes as we’re hunkered down at home in the evenings. A bright spot to the cooler weather are hearty meals like Beef and Vegetable Soup. I am planning in addition to more family movie nights.
I’ve dusted off my dutch oven.
I am adapting my grocery list as well to accommodate the changing seasons. One of my go-to recipes in icy cold weather is my mom’s Delicious Beef and Vegetable Soup. We call it this because, well, it’s delicious! Also because once upon a time my then two year old niece renamed our Beef and Vegetable Soup “Dewishus Soup.” She’s now 26 but the name lives on! This memory warms my heart as much, if not more, than the soup does.
Delicious, it truly is. I am not one to choose a beef Soup typically, but I will choose this soup any cold day!
This recipe is highly adaptable so feel free to use whatever veggies you have on hand. If you’re one to save the last of the veggies and end up throwing them away at the end of the week, try making this soup with them instead. It freezes well so make a big batch and store away the extra for a quick weeknight dinner. This soup goes best with a loaf of hot buttered bread.
It’s hard to make Beef and Vegetable Soup and not compare it to how my moms tastes but this latest time I think was perfect!
If you make it please comment below, I’d love to know what you thought of it.
In the mood for comfort food? Check out this Macaroni and Cheese recipe!
Auntie Jen says
Oh this sounds delicious! My mom used to make veggie soup that took days to cook. She would get soup bones and sometimes ox tails & cook them for about 16 hours on the stove. The cool it to remove the fat before adding the rest of the ingredients and cooking for many more hours. I could never eat another veggie soup cause it never compared to mama’s. Oh and it’s a perfect soup day too with this snow. MOM! 😂
Pioneer Flunkies says
That soup sounds like it would have the BEST flavor! 16 hours is a commitment 🙂 got to love the good moms out there 😍