- 2 1/4 Cup Flour
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp cream of tartar
- 1 cup of water for dipping
- 1 cup sugar for rolling
- Sift together flour and baking soda and set aside.
- Cream together every else (except water and 1 cup of sugar for rolling)
- Add flour and baking soda mixture
- Mix until blended
- Make 30 balls out of dough
- Dip each ball into water and immediately roll in sugar
- Place balls 1 inch apart on cookie sheet
- Bake at 375 for about 15 minutes
- These cookies will be brown on the bottom but not very brown on the top.
The recipe was adapted from our Grandma Jeannette Gamache Moersch.
You can add chopped nuts to the mixture if desired.
Growing up my siblings and I each had our own special Christmas Cookie made just for us. My brother kept it simple and perfect with Chocolate Chip Cookies, my sister had Russian Tea Cakes and my cookie was Angel Flake Sugar Cookies. Each option is delicious (mine are the best)!
These cookies are different and delightful and only made during the holidays which keeps them special to me.
They sparkle with the crunchy sugar outer layer and have a melt in your mouth quality which is precisely why child me fell in love with them and adult me won’t quit them!
Give these a try this holiday season and let me know what you think. If you want something more savory give these Green Bean Bundles a whirl!